The WECA Project Engineer to Project Manager (PE to PM) Program
Providing training in electrical concepts, code, and best practices for non-electrician construction professionals. WECA's PE to PM Program was designed and developed in close consultation with our contractors. It's designed to give construction professionals--including Project Engineers who have a background in construction but little or no electrician-specific training--the electrical fundamentals and crucial concepts they need to talk the talk and walk the walk on your projects.
Watch a quick introductory video:
The PE to PM Training Path is made up of five online courses; someone just starting the program should take the courses in the following order:
1. Practical Electrical Theory is an online, self-paced introduction to electrical theory, laws, and circuits. Course topics include:
- Atomic Theory
- Ohm’s Law
- Series Circuits
- Parallel Circuits
. Available now! Learn more and enroll here.
2. Subject Indexing and Code is an online, self-paced course in which students will learn how to effectively navigate and answer code-related questions in the National Electrical Code (NEC 2017) book and complete the calculations needed for electrical installations. Course topics include:
- NEC Subject Indexing
- Conductor Sizing and Protection
- Raceway, Box Fill, and Conduit Fill Calculations
- Service Sizing, Clearances, and Terminations
- Wiring Methods, Special Equipment and Occupancies
- Grounding and Bonding
- General Equipment, Lighting and Panelboards
Available now! Learn more and enroll here.
3. Electrical Wiring Methods and Installations is an online, self-paced introduction to the most used wiring methods with emphasis on proper installation and correctly applying electrical code. Course topics include:
- Installation basics
- National electrical code
- Workmanship standards
- Identification of methods
Learn more and enroll here
4. Job Costs and Estimating Basics is an online hybrid (with a scheduled instructor-led introduction and otherwise self-paced) course which introduces estimating job costs, material and labor for electrical installations. Course topics include:
- Material estimations
- Labor estimations
- Voltage drop as applied to installation
- Total job cost analysis
Learn more and enroll here
5. Commercial Electrical Blueprint Reading (online scheduled instructor-led).
Learn more and enroll here
Q: Is this for Project Engineers only?
A: Nope! Any construction industry professional (for instance, General Contractors, Construction Managers, Solar Installers, etc.) who requires a grounding in electrical concepts, the National Electric Code, and best practices on the electrical job site can benefit from this program.
Q: Is the PE to PM Program appropriate for Electrician Trainees?
A: No--Electrican Trainees should take the WECA Path to the Electrician Trainee Program Certificate, including the whole GetWired! series, in order to make sure they are getting the thorough electrical education and amount of education hours needed to qualify for the State of CA electrician certification exam.
Q: Does the WECA discount structure for Member Contractors and their employees apply to the PE to PM program?
A: Yes, discounts on these classes are available to WECA Member Contractors and their employees as a WECA membership benefit. Members: Please log in to your secured member dashboard to access and download the PE to PM discount rate sheet, or call our office for more information. Member employees: Please speak to your contractor about accessing a discount.
Q: How long does it take to complete the program?
A: The program is modularized and was designed to accommodate individual choice in the intensity and speed of completion. Motivated students might complete it in as little as 6 months. A student who would like to integrate the concepts more slowly, or who is combining this program with other on-the-job training, might prefer to enroll in only one course per quarter, taking approximately 18 months to complete the program.
Q: Will the timing of the classes interfere with job duties?
A: The program has been designed for busy working professionals and should not interfere with full-time job duties. All of the courses are fully online. Three of the courses are entirely self-paced. One of the courses has one instructor-led class, which is held online in the evening, and then the remainder are self-paced. The final course is scheduled, online, instructor-led, but classes occur on weeknight evenings and one Saturday.
Q: I'm a construction professional who has had some electrical training already. Can I skip a class?
A: WECA recommends the full program, taken in the order outlined above. However, if you've had previous electrical training (for instance, by taking some WECA GetWired! classes), we recommend you review the course outlines closely, and then enroll in whatever is most appropriate for you. Call WECA and talk to one of our client services specialists if you're not sure what to take.
Q: Does WECA provide a certificate of completion at the end of this program?
A: Yes, a student who successfully completes all five courses in the PE to PM Program Path with be granted a certificate of completion from WECA. (Credit towards the certificate for alternative courses previously taken at WECA will be considered on a case-by-case basis.)
Q: How much does this cost?
A: Individual courses in the path range from $99 - $389 each, and WECA member discounts apply to each of them. Total program tuition costs are under $1,000, even without member discounts applied. One of the two required textbooks may be rented for additional savings. (See the WECA booklist on each course's web catalog page for details.)