Western Electrical Contractors Association, Inc.

Already Belong? Login

Renewing Your Electrician Trainee Registration with the State

The State of California requires annual ET Application Renewal for all Electrician Trainees until you have the required work experience hours (4,800 hours for Residential electricians and 8,000 hours for General electricians) and have applied for and passed the State Electrical Certification Exam. The annual ET renewal does NOT require a fee.

To check the expiration date of your State ET registration, look up your expiration date on the State DAS website (link available in ET Forms and Resources: State of CA) by entering your State electrician trainee registration/tracking ("T") number on the DAS website. If you do not know your T-number, scroll down on the DAS page for instructions on how to look up your T-number. 

The following information is required to accompany the State Application for ET Renewal:

1. Current Proof of enrollment.

2. Unofficial transcript or verification from school of listed courses taken in the past year.

(source: http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/ECU/ECU_FAQ.htm#5)

  • Within 90 days of receipt of a renewal application, the State DAS shall inform the applicant in writing whether the registration has been renewed or the application is deficient, or that the applicant has submitted insufficient proof of further classwork or experience, in which case, the DAS shall inform the applicant of the information or documentation still required and the reason for the request.

There is NO fee to renew your registration, but you must complete and return the State ET Registration Renewal form before the anniversary of your initial State ET Registration in order to remain legal to work. The anniversary date is the expiration date shown on your State ET letter that contains your T-Number.  Visit WECA's ET Forms and Resources: State of CA  section to download a copy of the "State Application for Renewal of Registration of Electrician Trainee" form.

If you are already enrolled with WECA as an Electrician Trainee, you do NOT need to renew your enrollment with us unless you have been cancelled from the program.

WECA will provide you with a current proof of enrollment letter and transcript to submit with your renewal registration application; contact us at (877) 444-9322 or info@goweca.com to request these documents. You can also log in to view and download your transcript.

If you have not completed any WECA courses within the past three months, visit the Course Catalog and sign up for a class today.