Western Electrical Contractors Association, Inc.

Already Belong? Login

News Detail

WECA Veteran Apprentices in California and Utah: The GI Bill Covers Your Electrician Licensing Fees

Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Content courtesy of: U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

Get paid back for test fees

The GI Bill covers more than just tuition. You can use part of your entitlement to cover the cost of certain tests you need to take to become a licensed professional--or to apply for college or a training course. We only cover tests approved for the GI Bill under this benefit, so find out what's approved before you take any tests.

What types of tests can I get paid back for through the GI Bill?

For licensing

If you're a veteran and you qualify for the GI Bill, you may be able to use part of your entitlement to cover test fees up to $2,000 for a job that requires a license in order for you to work.

You can use our search tool to learn which tests are covered and their costs. In the field that says "L&C Name", enter the name of the license or certification you're interested in.

Find out which tests are covered and how much they cost.

Note: If you don't see a test listed, it may be a valid test that's just not yet approved. Please submit an application for reimbursement.

What you should know if you're eligible for test benefits

  • We'll pay for tests for as many approved licenses you'd like.
  • We'll pay for tests even if you don't score high enough to get your license. You can take the same test as many times as you need.
  • We'll pay for you to retake a test you passed if you need to take it again to get recertified or retain a license you already have.
  • We won't pay for fees or costs related to getting the actual license document.
  • We won't pay more than $2,000 in fees for one test.

For tests taken after August 1, 2018, we'll prorate the entitlement charges under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on the actual amount of the fee charged for the test.

How do I get this benefit?

For licensing

You'll need to fill out an Application for Reimbursement of Licensing or Certification Fees (VA Form 22-0803).

Get VA Form 22-0808 to download.

Note: Please turn in proof of payment with your application. Proof of payment can be a receipt showing you paid the testing fee.

Then, upload your completed form through QuickSubmit on AccessVA.

Upload your completed form using QuickSubmit on AccessVA.

Or mail your completed form to your VA regional processing office.

Find your VA regional processing office.

Who can I contact if I have questions?