Enrolling in WECA's State-Approved Program as an Electrician Trainee
To enroll in the ET Program and participate in WECA's training programs, complete the following steps:
1. Enroll in the WECA ET Program
- Select a course that meets your skill level and necessary completion timeline. Make sure to review the course description and requirements.
- If you are new to the electrical field, we recommend that you start with the basic Get Wired 101 course, and complete classes in the order shown on the Electrician Trainee Certificate Roadmap.
- Sign up online by visiting the Electrician Trainee Course Catalog section of our website; look for the “Enroll Now!” button in the class description for your chosen class. You can complete your enrollment entirely online. (If you prefer paper, you can complete and submit the WECA Electrician Trainee (ET) Program Enrollment and Initial Class Sign-up Form. Available in ET Forms and Resources).
- Pay for the tuition of the class you selected and a $25 program enrollment fee at the time of enrollment.
- Within one business day, WECA will email you an ET program enrollment confirmation letter acknowledging that you are enrolled in WECA's state-approved ET Program.
- Keep a copy of this letter with you as proof that you are enrolled in a state-approved ET program. (Please note that you are not considered legal to work as an Electrician Trainee until you receive your ET Card from the State.)
- To keep your Electrician Trainee enrollment status active with WECA, you must be continuously enrolled in a course until you complete all courses shown in the ET Program Certificate Roadmap. Review WECA's Electrician Trainee Handbook, available in ET Forms and Resources, for details.
2. Register with the State of California as an Electrician Trainee
- Print and complete a copy of the State of California's Electrician Trainee Registration form, available in ET Forms and Resources. WECA's "School Number" is 108.
- Staple a copy of the WECA confirmation letter to your completed State form. Send both the state form and letter from WECA to the State of California with a check or money order for the State's $25 registration fee.
- The State will then send you a letter confirming that you are a state-registered ET. This letter will also include your "T" number. (This can take up to 4-6 weeks from the date your $25 payment is cashed by the State.)
3. Order your Textbooks
Download a textbook list from ET Forms and Resources.