GET WIRED! 101 Fundamentals of Electrical Theory and Introduction to the National Electric Code (NEC)
Recommended Prerequisite for Electrician Trainees: High-School Math
GET WIRED! 101 is an introduction to the theory of electricity. It covers the fundamental electrical laws and explains how the National Electrical Code (NEC) governs the installations of electrical wiring and equipment. Core competencies include:
- Refresher on basic math skills applied to electrical calculations
- General information on electrical installations
- Electrical symbols and receptacle outlets
- Electrical quantities and Ohm’s Law
- Static electricity and magnetism
- Voltage drop and neutral sizing for services
- Switch control of lighting circuits, receptacle installation, bonding, and induction heating
Safety best practices are covered along with tips on study skills. In this course, math equations are applied to the safe and sound wiring and load choices for electrical installations, troubleshooting and maintenance. Theories are discussed and applied to on-the-job situations and tasks. Lab activities are conducted to enable hands-on practice activities.
- Total class hours available: 42
PLEASE REVIEW THE REQUIRED COURSE MATERIALS LIST for GET WIRED! Courses to ensure you have the correct textbooks/course materials.
Minimum Points and Hours:
- Standard Tuition Fee: $309
To earn credit hours for this course, students are required to attend a minimum number of course hours and earn a minimum number of points. Zero (0) credit hours will be awarded if the minimum attendance and/or minimum points are not met. See the points and hours matrix
for specific requirements for this course.
Webcast System Requirements:
For the WECA eCampus website and the Adobe Connect virtual classroom to run properly on your computer, please make sure to review the Webcast System Requirements
BEFORE class starts. A valid email address is required at the time of sign-up.
* This course includes classes that are conducted on one or more Saturdays and/or Sundays. Students will be notified of their scheduled class time within one week of the class start date for class days displayed without class times.
** You must be paying by credit card to sign-up online.
Return to Course Catalog
Find Other Courses