Wednesday, December 18, 2019
If you prefer to take your certification exam while referencing the 2014 National Electrical Code book, the State will allow you to choose that option for the next six months.
If you prefer to take your certification exam while referencing the 2017 National Electrical Code book, the State will allow you to choose that option starting January 1, 2020.
The 2017 NEC will be effective for certification testing in California on January 1, 2020, and the State has confirmed it will begin transitioning the General and Residential Electrician certification exams to test on 2017 Code starting on January 1, 2020. The State will also continue to make the 2014 Code book available at the testing site to those taking the exam for approximately the next six months.
Please note: this information is based on the latest we have available from the State of California and is subject to change by the State. If we receive notice of any changes, we will send a follow-up email.
If you are preparing to take a certification exam soon and have the educational hours and on-the-job experience to qualify, make a plan now. (Note: if you are a WECA Apprentice, you will receive exam preparation instruction on the appropriate Code year as per previously established schedules. These recommendations are intended for Electrician Trainees.)
Your exam date will determine whether you reference a 2014 Code or 2017 Code book, and whether you have an option. Here's what we recommend:
1. Choose your exam date accordingly.
2. To prepare yourself for the exam, enroll in an exam preparation class with WECA. See the list below for the three different types of exam preparation we offer, and enroll in the one that's right for you.
- Before Jan. 1, 2020: only 2014 Code books will be made available for reference at the exam site.
- For approximately 6 months from Jan. 1: you may reference either a 2014 or 2017 Code book; your choice.
- July 1 and later: the exam sites will likely offer 2017 Code books for reference only.
- Secure your exam date by registering with the State.
Here are upcoming exam preparation class options with WECA:
- WECA is transitioning its exam preparation courses from 2014 Code to 2017 Code over the next few months. Pay close attention to the Code year offered when choosing your class.
2 Day Exam Prep, a 16-hour, fast-paced code study course in the classroom, focused on learning to use the Code book in preparing for the State Certification exam.
Rancho Cordova, January 18 - 19 on 2014 Code
San Diego, January 18 - 19 on 2014 Code
Rancho Cordova, February 8 - 9 on 2017 Code
Riverside, February 8 - 9 on 2017 Code
Rancho Cordova, March 14 - 15 on 2017 Code
San Diego, March 14 - 15 on 2017 Code
Get Wired! 404: Test Prep, Online and Instructor-Led. This 42-hour, fast-paced, highly interactive course that focuses on using the NEC to answer exam questions and re-enforcement in electrical fundamentals.
Online live webcast, Tuesday and Thursday evenings, February 10 - March 30, on 2017 Code
Exam Preparation Home Study. If you want to study at your own pace, choose this 56-hour Exam Preparation DVD Library from Mike Holt.
Home study, DVD-based, on your own schedule. Available on 2014 Code through December 31. Available on 2017 Code starting January 1, 2020.
Questions? Concerns? Need help choosing the right course? Call a WECA Client Services Specialist at 1-877-444-9322.