Friday, August 11, 2023
Content Courtesy of Construction Genius Podcast
In an industry grappling with labor shortages, how do construction companies not just attract, but more importantly, retain their skilled workforce? In our latest podcast episode of Construction Genius, we explore this vital question with a master in the field, Matt DiBara of DiBara Masonry and The Contractor Consultants.
Here are the top 5 insights from this enlightening conversation:
1?) The Power of Process Improvement: Matt highlights the importance of comprehensive information before decision-making. He encourages us to leverage process improvement meetings to gain the necessary insights, fostering a more informed, fair decision-making environment.
2?) Accountability in Retention: Matt emphasizes a paradigm shift from dismissing departures to introspection, questioning the reasons behind each exit and learning from them.
3?) The Quarantine Process: The concept of quarantining toxic but productive elements in the workforce, managing them in a way that doesn't disrupt the overall company culture, is a unique but potentially effective solution that Matt offers.
4?) Bridging the Gap: Dealing with toxicity doesn't necessarily mean expulsion. Matt shares strategies to bridge the gap between such personalities and the rest of the workforce, potentially transforming a challenge into an opportunity.
5?) Creative Solutions: Matt emphasizes that one-size-fits-all doesn't apply in construction. Developing unique, creative solutions that account for the varying personalities and work styles within the industry is the key to success.
Dive deeper into these insights, and you'll find:
• The key to decision-making in construction is a thorough understanding of each situation and the viewpoints of all involved.
• Rather than dismissing departures, companies should consider each as a learning opportunity.
• While maintaining a healthy company culture is important, there are cases where accommodating a productive but challenging individual could prove beneficial.
• Addressing toxicity may involve creating bridges of understanding rather than resorting to drastic actions.
• Uniquely tailored solutions often yield the best results in the diverse and multifaceted world of construction.
Join us in this episode as we navigate through the challenges and solutions to retaining top talent in the construction industry. You will come away with not just an understanding of the persistent labor shortage issue, but also practical strategies to turn your company into a talent magnet.
Click here to listen